Strong and Steadfast in the Spirit, Kingsville Presbyterian Church and its Community
Chapter Two: Presbyterian Passages, 1800-1850
In the Early Western Reserve, People Were Scarce, Comforts Few, and Pioneer Perils Plentiful
The Ashtabula County section of the Western Reserve featured trees as thick as the cornmeal mush the pioneers ate and wind that whistled more often through tree branches than cabin chimneys. The few cabins that existed were scattered like stones on the Lake Erie beaches with miles of brush and trees in between. In the beginning, there were no roads, and few bridle paths, making sturdy boats and feet important survival tools. An 1800 census of the Western Reserve revealed a population of 1,144 people. In 1800, the United States consisted of only 21 states, with most territory west of Indian, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi still being developed. In 1800. the population of Ohio numbered 45,365 people. Ten years later in 1810, the Census showed that the Ohio population had increased to 230,760. In 1811, the boundaries of Ashtabula County were definitively established, and in 1816, the county was divided into townships, each five miles square of 25 square miles.
People migrated to Ohio from the eastern states, especially Connecticut and New York, to establish permanent homes in the Western Reserve. With more people came more creature comforts About 1803, mail service began along South Ridge Road, now State Route 84. At first the mail carrier had to deliver mail on foot, but with the gradual clearing of the proposed road, horseback delivery and later wagon delivery became possible. By 1816, the new east and west road had developed so much that stage coach services began and although the stages were crude and traveled over extremely rough road, they were still an improvement over foot and wagon transportation.
By 1820, South Ridge Road, still rough but at the time considered top notch, had been greatly improved and flashy new stages ran between Cleveland and Erie. At this point, Cleveland and Erie, each with a population of about 600, were considered metropolises.
Initial settlement of the area was sporadic and slow, however by the 1820s, the region began to prosper. The first settlers and the towns they established reflected the culture of Connecticut and New England. However, as the region prospered it became a destination for migrants of all backgrounds and the region became increasingly diverse in terms of race, ethnicity and religion
“The White People Have Now Found Our Country”
The cultural roots of Northeastern Ohio twine back more than 10,000 years ago to the Native American peoples who first lived there, including the Paleo-Indian people, the Archaic, the Adena, the Hopewell Mound Builders, people of the Mississippian Culture, and in later centuries the Erie, Ottawa, Wyandotte, Mingo, Shawnee, Delaware, and Miami Native American peoples. In 1784, the Six Nations (Iroquois) signed The Treaty of Fort Stanwix, surrendering their lands west of the western Pennsylvania boundary to the United States, although they continued to claim a portion of these lands including much of the Western Reserve.
The proprietors of the Connecticut Land Company decided that a conciliatory approach to the Indian claims would make it easier to sell its lands and attract settler, so its administrators instructed Moses Cleaveland and his surveying party to meet with the principal chiefs of the Six Nations outside Skinner’s Tavern in Buffalo, New York, on June 20, 1796, for a three day council. After two days of feasting and drinking, the parties began negotiations.
On June 23, 1796, Chief Red Jacket, orator of the Six Nations and a Seneca sachem, delivered a speech through an interpreter. John Milton Holly, a member of Cleaveland’s surveying party, documented the speech in which Red Jacket defined the values and customs of his people, defending them against the encroaching white civilization.
Red Jacket who was called Red Jacket because he wore a red jacket when he fought with the British during the American Revolution, observed: “You white people make a great parade about religion, you say you have a book of laws and rules which was given you by the Great Spirit, but is this true? Was it written by his own hand and given to you? No, says he, it was written by your own people. They do it to deceive you. Their whole wishes center here (pointing to his pocket), all they want is the money…He says white people tell them, they wish to come and live among them as brothers, and learn them agriculture. So they bring on implements of husbandry and resents, tell them good stories and all appears honest. But when they are gone all appears as a dream. Our land is taken from us and still we don’t know how to farm it.”
At the close of the Council, the Six Nations agreed to the white settlement of their land in Western Reserve, with the stipulation that they could hunt and fish on those lands for a designed amount of time. According to Seth Pease, a member of the surveying party, Moses Cleaveland gave the eastern Indians two beef cattle and 100 gallons of whiskey. He gave the western Indians goods worth 500 pounds in New York money and enough provisions to last until they returned home.
A story in the Buffalo News by Luke Hammil dated May 14, 2018, cites another Red Jacket speech. Red Jacket whose Indian name Saqu-ua-what-hath, translated means Keeper-awake, addressed a missionary from Massachusetts about the efforts of missionaries in the Western Reserve in an 1805 address on the banks of Buffalo Creek.
In his speech Red Jacket said in part:
The white people had now found our country. Tidings were carried back and more came amongst us. Yet we did not fear them. We took them to be friends. They called us brothers. We believed them, and gave them a larger seat. At length their numbers had greatly increased. They wanted more land; they wanted our country. Our eyes were opened and our minds became uneasy. Wars took place. Indians were hired to fight against Indians, and many of our people were destroyed. They also brought strong liquors amongst us. It was strong and powerful and has slain thousands.
Brother. Our seats were once large and yours were small. You have now become a great people, and we have scarcely a place left to spread our blankets. You have got our country, but are not satisfied; you want to force your religion upon us.
The perspectives of the missionaries, the Native Americans, the Western Reserve settlers and the historians sometimes clashed as resoundingly as waves on a Lake Erie beach during a storm. Moina Large in her History of Ashtabula County, stated that just a few Native Americans lived in Ashtabula County by 1811, and they were generally friendly toward the white settlers who returned their friendship.
Pioneer Kingsville resident Harvey Nettleton characterized this attitude in one of his reminiscences in the Ashtabula Sentinel and the Kingsville Tribune. He wrote that every fall, many Indian hunters traveled from their home villages to Ashtabula County by land or water to pitch their camps for the winter and enjoy the best hunting season. After they arrived, the Native American hunters, dressed in their best feathers, beads, and silver ornaments, would visit each white settler home. The settlers traditionally welcomed their visitors and treated them to a feast before they left, because if they hadn’t prepared a feast, the Native Americans would have considered them unfriendly. When the hunting season had ended, the Native American hunters again visited the settler’s cabins for a farewell feast.
In her account of Native Americans in Ashtabula County, Moina Large noted the attitudes of many early setters toward the Native Americans. She wrote that they occasionally displayed evidence of “a latent feeling of resentment because of the encroachment of the strangers fro the civilized world, which would be displayed in some despicable little act that was calculated to tantalize the whites.”
Harvey Nettleton remembered once such act on a day from his childhood when his parents left him and two younger sisters in their cabin while they attended a worship service, probably a Presbyterian service, because the Nettletons were among the first members of the Presbyterian Church. Eight to ten Native Americans visited their cabin and finding the children alone, their attitude turned threatening. The young chief of the band, Po-ca-caw or John O’Mic, cocked and pointed his rifle at Harvey and his sisters, tracking their efforts to avoid being shot.
Then O’Mic raised his tomahawk above their heads as if he were going to strike them, feeling the edge to signify the weapon needed sharpening. He forced Harvey to turn the grindstone while he sharpened his tomahawk. Po-ca-caw and his men tormented Harvey and his sisters for over two hours, going through the motions of an Indian massacre. When they had tired of their sport, Po-ca-caw took a set of teaspoons, a measure of salt, and some other articles from the house and he and his party disappeared into the woods.
After terrorizing Harvey Nettleton and his sisters, John O’Mic continued his wayward ways and finally gained notoriety in the Western Reserve as the first person to be executed in Northern Ohio. He belonged to the Massasauga band of Chippewa Indians residing near Pymatuning Creek until 1811, when they moved to the west bank of the Cuyahoga River. On April 3, 1812, two trappers, Daniel Buel and Gibbs, were murdered in Sandusky for their furs. O[Mic and two other Indians were arrested. One committed suicide. The authorities released the other because of his extreme youth, but they sent O’Mic, himself just 21 years old, to Cleveland for trial.
O’Mic was tried on April 29, 1812, and he was sentenced to death for the murder of Daniel Buel, with his execution set for June 26, 1812. After his conviction, O’Mic told Mr. Carter and Sheriff Baldwin that he would show the pale faces how an Indian could die. They didn’t need to tie his arms, but when the time came he would jump off the gallows.
A large crowd gathered on public square and after a religious service, the sheriff and other officials attempted to carry out the execution. O’Mic clung to a platform post and informed the Sheriff that he would die courageously if he could have some whiskey. After several tries and several drinks of real old Monongahela whiskey, Omic finally swung from the end of the rope.
Suddenly, a terrific storm rapidly brewed from the north northwest. making it necessary to hasten the process of making sure O’Mic’s neck was broken. When his body fell, the rope broke as readily as a tow string and fell to the ground. His body was picked up and put into the coffin and the coffin immediately put into the grave. The storm pounded the spectators with wind and rain and all scampered but O’Mic.
The day after the execution, Dr. David Long of Cleveland and several other physicians took O’Mic’s body to use for medical studies and the skeleton traveled to Hudson, Ohio and then to Pittsburgh. O’Mic’s death paralled the outbreak of the War of 1812, and many Native Americans fought on the British side, partially because of their anger over O’Mic’s execution. Shortly after O’Mic’s hanging, General Hull surrendered Detroit to the British and Sandusky area settlers fled east, fearing that the Native American raiders would avenge O’Mic’s death. The avengers never came.
After the War of 1812 erased the fear of British invasion and occupation of the Western Reserve, the slow and sporadic settlement pattern prevailed for a few years, but by the 1820s, growth in the region moved as fast as a bear running away with a settler’s pig in its grasp.
The first settlers and towns the pioneers established in the Western Reserve reflected the physical and cultural characteristics of Connecticut and New England. As the settlers, settlements, and prosperity increased, people from all background migrated to the Western Reserve and it became a patchwork quilt of race, ethnicity and religion. Kingsville and the Kingsville Presbyterian Church contributed many squares to the patchwork quilt.
Fobes Dale, Gallons of Whiskey, and Kingsville
Eldred Harrington, a white man daubed a squatter by early historians, lived in a cabin he built on the bottom land at the bend of the Conneaut River in 1803. He had come into the Kingsville Township wilderness without any idea where he would settle, but when he came upon the spot by the Conneaut River, its beauty overwhelmed him. When he spotted an opening in the woods that the Indians had cleared to use for raising corn, and then discovered the excellent hunting and fishing in the vicinity, he decided to stay and built a cabin.
Other men who didn’t own property in the region came and squatted along the Conneaut, men including Andrew Stull, Leonard and Michael Widener, Daniel Tolbert, Elijah Lewis, Israel Harrington, and brothers Elijah and Hiram Blackman and Mr. Blackamore. Most of them hailed from Pennsylvania and like Eldred Harrington, they were adept at hunting and living off the land without actually owning any of it. Kingsville and Ashtabula County proved to be so beautiful in scenery and bountiful in game and fertile land that most of the squatters eventually settled down and became useful and respectable citizens.
Captain Walter Fobes, arrived in Kingsville about the same time as Eldred Harrington, and each surveyed their surroundings ambitious eyes- Eldred Harrington with the viewpoint of the hunting pioneer and Captain Fobes with dreams of development dancing in his eyes. Although Captain Walter Fobes possessed considerable means, the kind that would have allowed him to live a prosperous, comfortable life in the East, he wanted to help develop this new country.
Purchasing 500 acres of land in Kingsville and 500 acres in what is now Madison, Captain Fobes established himself and his wife on his Kingsville land and their five children on their own acres in the Madison tract. He also purchased the land that is now North Kingsville, as well as the property where the Ashtabula County Infirmary formerly stood. He donated land for the East Lake Cemetery in North Kingsville, and appropriately, he was the first one to be buried in the East Lake Cemetery.
Amanda Elderkin, daughter of James and Betsey Waterman Elderkin, married Walter Fobes on July 21, 1785. In 1806, a year after her parents had settled in Kingsville, their daughter Octavia became the first Kingsville baby to greet the world according to Kingsville. Their other daughters were Amanda, Rosamond, Louisa, and Harmony. After Captain Fobes died in 1814, Amanda Fobes devoted the rest of her life to nursing the sick.
The first Kingsville Township map identified the township as “Fobes Dale,” in honor of Captain Fobes. Some of the settlers who came later didn’t care for the name and ridiculed it into “Fobes Tale.” After some discussion, The Fobes Dale and Fobes Tale people decided to come up with a new name and most of them agreed on the name Norwich. Norwich still suggested Fobes Dale because Captain Fobes hailed for Norwich, Connecticut, so they decided to search for another name.
The traditional story of how they finally settled on the name Kingsville involved whiskey and a man named Mr. King. Mr. King, who was just passing through and had no interest in the township, heard about the controversy. He suggested a plan. He told the two factions that if they would give him four gallons of whiskey they could use his name as a compromise and call their town and township Kingsville. They accepted his proposition and the name of Kingsville for their town and township.
By 1810, the pioneers of Kingsville Township had organized themselves and their land into a village and they held the first election in the village in a log cabin on the bank of the Conneaut River which bends from the east to almost the center of Kingsville Township and then east again. William Ferguson, Israel Harrington, and Roger Nettleton were elected trustees; Alpha Nettleton, clerk; Silas Tinker, Jr., assessor; and Thomas Kezartee, constable. Israel Harrington was also named Justice of the Peace of the organized township.
Missionaries to Camp Meetings to Meeting Houses
Presbyterian Three Days Meetings
In 1803, Reverend Joseph Badger who by profession of faith was a Congregationalist, but supplied Presbyterian pulpits, including the one at Kingsville, traveled to Pittsburgh, where he learned of some remarkable revivals that had taken place. These revivals were called “Three Days Meetings” or communion sessions. Reverend Thomas Robbins of the Warren, Ohio church that Reverend Badger founded, in a letter dated Canfield, December 7, 1803, described these Three Days Meetings, as communion seasons dating back to early Presbyterian history.
Quoting Dr. Nesbit of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Reverend Robbins wrote that the Three Days Meetings was a custom introduced in Scotland during the reign of Charles I, when many Presbyterian ministers were silenced, making if necessary for one or two to minister to several churches. The 1803 practice was to have a Sacrament at every congregation once, and sometimes twice a year, generally twice in a minister’s charge. Three or four ministers presided, and the most of the people within twelve, fifteen or twenty miles attended.
On Thursday before the Sacrament people generally fasted. Ordinarily, the ministers preached Saturday afternoon and twice on the Sabbath, administering the Lord’s Supper between. On Sabbath evening, they held a prayer meeting and on Monday preached a sermon before the people left. The people who belonged to the congregation where the meeting was held kept open houses for anyone that came.
Reverend Robbins, in his letter to the Missionary Society, described one of the sacramental seasons as the most solemn scene he had ever witnessed. He wrote, “I have never conceived anything which appeared so much, as some parts of the solemnities, like the judgment day.”
The ceremony of the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper lasted for three and a half hours. Before they came to the table, each communicant had applied to any elders who knew them for a token- a small piece of lead. No one could come to the tables without a lead token. In fencing the tables, the minister showed the people from scripture who did and didn’t have a right to Communion. If people who had received tokens felt proddings of conscience about being right to take Communion, they could decline to come to the table. The main point in fencing the tables was “to let the world know that if wicked men do come to that ordinance, the Scriptures do not authorize it, nor does the church allow it. The number of communicants was about three hundred.”
When they didn’t have a church, people frequently held meetings in the woods, managed a little like the Methodist camp meetings, but according to Reverend Robbins, “in a more quiet and orderly manner.”
Presbyterian and Methodist camp meetings took place in dramatic settings. Trees reaching into heaven as high as the hopes of the worshippers to get there reached bough to bough across hundreds of acres of sun patterned forests., with occasional cabins puncturing the green sea like wooden rafts. At the night meetings, candles fastened to trees to guide the worshippers and their campfires created shimmering pools of light weaving across the star sea sky. Musical notes from praise songs and anguished cries from seekers and joyous shouts from finders mingled in the air, creating a concerto of worship, a concerto with diverse notes that blended into a finale of soul saving and church building. During the church building phase, the pioneers didn’t neglect their religious needs. Before they built schoolhouses and churches, the pioneers held meetings on the Sabbath in private houses and Deacon Clark Webster or Deacon Corwin conducted them.
In their quiet and orderly manner, church officials and people established churches in Kingsville. The Plan of Union, the agreement between the New England Congregational Churches and the Presbyterian Church in the United States advocating the mutual support and joint effort to evangelize the American frontier had been in practice in the Western Reserve since 1801. By 1810, the Congregationalists had organized the first church in Kingsville Township, with Reverend Samuel Crocker its first minister. Reverend Crocker probably didn’t have a serious salary, because a small congregation couldn’t afford to pay very much for a designed pastor’s services.
The six people who made up the Congregationalist Congregation were Walter and Amanda Fobes, Mr. and Mrs. James Montgomery, John P. Read and Lois Badger. The congregation met frequently in the homes in the members for over a decade until growing numbers made services in private dwellings impractical. In 1821, the church members built a meeting house in the center of the village of Kingsville.
In 1844, Erastus Williams led the movement to organize the Congregational and Presbyterians as a Presbyterian Church. In 1847, the meeting house burned and the congregation built a new church on the present day site that was dedicated on October 17,1848. George Gillett donated the lot and cemetery adjoining the church as well as the bell which he purchased at a Cincinnati fair. The church was entirely remodeled in 1898.
Along with the Congregationalists, in 1813, the Baptists organized the Baptist Church of Kingsville, meeting in one of the township school houses. Elder Benjamin Barnes served as pastor. In 1825, when the log building used for a school and church burned, the Baptists hired a hall for four years and afterwards built their own church.
Methodist Camp Meeting
In the early Kingsville years, Methodists and Methodist ministers were not plentiful in Kingsville. In his historical sketches, Pioneer writes that a Methodist minister by the name of Johnson instructed fellow Methodists during the years 1813-1814. At over 70 years of age, he was old fashioned as well as old. He wore an old blue coat buttoned down and rounded out from the collar to the waist and nearly to the ankles, called the shad-bellied coat. Under the coat he wore a white vest and his very long pants came down to his knees. A pair of long stockings. each tied with a ribbon with a tassel at each end tickled the edges of his long pants and hung at the outside of each knee. His shoes were low cut and fastened with silver shoe buckles.
During the winters, he and his wife lived in the log schoolhouse in the center of Kingsville, sleeping in one of the closets and eating in the other. Reverend Johnson managed the school on week days and preached there on Sundays. Methodist number continued to grow slowly, but steadily.
As the result of the great Methodist camp meeting held by Elder Charles Elliott near the Ohio State line in 1824, Reverend John P. Kent formed a class in the western part of the village of Kingsville. The class consisted of leader William Maltby and his wife; Mr. Tinker and his wife and son; Silas Tinker and wife; Mr. Gunn and wife; and several other people. The class was dissolved, and Reverend J.C. Ayers organized a church society in the village of Kingsville in 1830, with 16 names on the roll. Reverend Samuel Ayers served as the first pastor, and in 1834, the congregation had grown enough in numbers and resources to build the first brick church in town. 
The deed to the land sold for the brick church lot was signed by Elijah Batchelor and wife in 1837. When plans for the larger frame building were being made, it became evident more land would be needed, and the extension was purchased from Melzar Macomber. The church was incorporated on March 28, 1850, with Harvey Sperry, E.A. Butler, James R. Abbott, Nathan Thompson and S.F. Curtiss as trustees and Valentine Tourgee as clerk.
The brick church served the congregation until 1856 when a second building was built on the site. The second building would eventually be incorporated into the fellowship hall of the Presbyterian church.
The Presbyterian and Methodist Churches federated in 1930 and with the blessing of the Methodist District Superintendent, united as a single Presbyterian Church on February 27, 1937. At the time of the union, 98 Presbyterians joined 124 Methodists and became a church of 222 members. By the 1940s, the congregation had grown to 338 members.
Reverend Samuel Ayers, Kingville’s first Methodist pastor of the first Methodist Church to be built in Kingsville, enjoyed the distinction of being the second preacher on the Mercer Circuit Admitted on trial in the Pittsburgh Conference in 1827, he entered into full connection and was ordained deacon in 1829 and as an elder in 1831.
His contemporaries described him as a tall man, of rather poor health, wanting in self confidence, and easily discouraged. He was a most amiable Christian gentleman, and a good, sound preacher. After retiring two years and studying medicine, he was located in 1832, readmitted in 1835, located again in 1836, and then he practiced medicine.
According to Pioneer, during the early years of the brick church it was customary to have a pail of water and a cup or dipper nearby so children could help themselves when they were thirsty. Mrs. Linna Luce Dunn, the daughter of one of the Methodist ministers, recalled a church incident from her childhood. She said
t the church used to issue tickets for the people eligible to attend the love feasts of the Quarterly Meeting. Reverend Luce asked his daughter, Linna, who was a young child at the time, to cut the tickets apart for one of the meetings. While she cut, she saved out four tickets, one for each of her three sisters and one or herself. When it came time for the service, the girls showed up at the door and the doorkeeper let them in since they had tickets. Their minister father spied them and later applied some Methodist consequences!
Presbyterians came to North America during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, arriving in the Northwest Territory by the late 1700s. By 1803, they were the one of the largest religious denominations Ohio, scattered throughout the state but strongest among the New England setters in the Connecticut Western Reserve.
In the Connecticut Western Reserve, the Presbyterians formed a plan of Union with the Congregationalists, agreeing to share resources and by the 1820s, the cities of Columbus, Cincinnati and most of the towns in Ohio had Presbyterian churches. Presbyterians in Ohio divided into any factions, although minor doctrinal issues were the only things that separated them. Some factions even established their own colleges to teach their version of Presbyterianism. Generally, Presbyterians followed strict rules, especially for honoring the Sabbath and forbidding frivolous activities on Sundays.
During the 1830s and 1840s, the Presbyterian Church divided into Northern and South branches over the issue of slavery, and these divisions also existed in Ohio. The Civil War and the end of slavery helped reunite the Presbyterians and they thrived into the twentieth and twenty first centuries.
The church that Reverend Joseph Badger organized in 1810 with just six members grew slowly over the next twelve years and the records show that he signed his name as clerk at several of the meetings. Twelve years later in 1822, the congregation built a church on the site of what was then the town hall, and although the Western Reserve at age twelve still remained a mostly unsettled wilderness, the new church featured a pipe organ.
The clerk’s records for these pioneer times provide a glimpse into the church operations and policies. The May 7, 1832, entry directed the Trustees to solicit subscriptions to “raise stock and grain sufficient to pay what is now due to Reverend H.T. Kelly, the grain to be paid in January, the stock in March.”
Also, on the topic of payment, another entry noted that the congregation voted to furnish one-half a cord of wood or pay 50 cents.
The church also scrutinized the spiritual condition of its members. One entry recorded a committee plan to visit “Mr.B.”, and talk with him about his reasons for neglecting Communion.
On July 11, 1844, when the Congregational Church had been in the building for 22 years, 22 members were added. For years Congregationalists and Presbyterians had talked about consolidating their forces. Tentatively at first and then, perhaps remembering the example of Reverend Badger, more loudly and insistently, they spoke and acted for joining their spiritual forces. They met and conferred and finally agreed on a merger, with Reverend Erastus Williams as the first pastor of the newly united Congregationalists and Presbyterians.
The First Nine Ministers of Kingsville’s First Church
Both chronologically and spiritually diverse ministers served Kingsville’s first church. Reverend Joseph Badger established the Congregational Church in Kingsville as its first church.
Reverend Samuel Crocker was the first minister of the Congregational Church, serving from 1810-1820.
Reverend Urban Palmer – 1824. The Cayuga Presbytery of New York directed his theological studies and licensed him to preach in 1820. In February 1821, he served the church in Genoa, New York and then in 1824, came to Kingsville and remained until 1829. While he pastored in Kingsville he suffered from bleeding of the lungs, which prevented him from preaching for a season. When he served at Chester, in Geauga County, he spent a summer as commander of a schooner on Lake Erie and spent a summer as commander of a schooner on Lake Erie, with an excellent influence on the sailors he encountered. As his health permitted, he preached at Ridgefield and Monroe in Ridgefield County, Ohio.
Reverend Isaac Van Tassel – 1828.
Reverend Henry T. Kelley-1829-1834. Henry T. Kelly was the son of Reverend Mr. Kelly of Hampstead, New Hampshire. He left Andover Theological Seminary with the class of 1822, and licensed by the Londonderry Presbytery and ordained over the Congregational Churches in Parsonsfield and Newfield, Maine and dismissed on June 27, 1827. He was installed over the church in Kingsville in 1829, and dismissed on July 9, 1834. The same day he was installed over the first church in Madison, Geauga County. While at Kingsville, Reverend Kelly supplied the church in Sheffield for a time.
Reverend Nathan Latham-1835. Mr. Latham studied theology with Reverend Mr. Packard of Shelburne, Massachusetts. He came to the Western Reserve in 1834, and preached at Kingsville.
Reverend Gregg-1838-1840. In 1838, the editor of the Kingsville Tribune wrote that in Kingsville Reverend Mr. Gregg married Mr. J. Danforth of Middletown, Connecticut to Miss Mary E., daughter of Ichabod Curtiss of Kingsville. The editor noted that the printers received a bountiful share of the wedding cake for which, the happy pair will please accept their thanks.
Reverend Peleg Randall Kinney-1840-1842.
Reverend Erastus Williams was the first minster of the newly united Congregationalists and Presbyterians when they merged their congregations in 1844. The 1850 United States Federal Census shows Erastus C. Williams as being born in New York about 1817, with his current residence in Kingsville, Ashtabula County, Ohio. He lived with his wife Corinna R. Webster Williams, age 25, his children Corrinna C. Williams and Charles H. Williams, 1. Mary E. Beedy, 15, from Pennsylvania, also lived with them.
On April 4, 1844, the Dunkirk, New York Beacon, noted that Reverend Erastus C. Williams of Kingsville, Ohio, married Theodore Hequembourg of St. Louis, Missouri, to Miss Heloise E. Williams, second daughter of Dr. Ezra Williams of Dunkirk. Heloise was the sister of Reverend Erastus C. Williams.
The newly merged Congregational and Presbyterian worshipped in its old building for only three years. In 1847, two disastrous fires, both deliberately set, changed the course of the Presbyterian Church and of the village of Kingsville. The Presbyterian Church and the Kingsville Academy burned. The Academy had burned earlier that year and classes then were held in the Presbyterian Church. When the church burned, out of the ashes arose new hope and a new church, and the village of Kingsville acquired a new cemetery and a new, more prominent Academy.
Business man George Gillett donated land for a new site for the church and an adjoining cemetery which he stipulated would be privately administered. Dedicated on October 17, 1848, the new church featured a balcony built over the entrance. When the congregation stood to sing the hymns, they turned to face the choir above. George Gillett also donated a prize bell bought at a Cincinnati fair.
The church was incorporated under the name of “The Presbyterian Society,” on October 21, 1848, for the purpose of holding and maintaining the property including the newly built church. The original book of records of the corporation was faithfully kept until 1911.
The Puritan Emigrant
The first emigrants who settled in Kingsville were principally from Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont and they were descendants of Puritans who were imbued with the strict religious habits of that peculiar people. They endeavored to plant their sentiments in the wilderness of Kingsville, and give it such vigorous growth that it ever afterward would take the lead. But as time rolled on, inhabitants became mixed with variety as they always will in every place, till homogenous sentiments are the ruling order. They endeavored to establish rules and regulations for keeping the Sabbath, but for the government and the training of children in a secular way. There is no doubt in our mind that if they had succeeded in keeping control of all the youth as they first set out to do, there would have been better respect for parents than we are in the habit of seeing in this day of promiscuous, indifferent community.
There is nothing in an army so effective as the exact training to rules and regulations, although many items many be considered trivial and unimportant. Whenever we see descendants of the Puritans, we are apt to notice a better regard and demeanor to the aged and to principle as well, though general sentiments many have materially changed. It can’t be much out of the way to keep the “tiger” of the young well in hand till god and thorough habits are well established in our common native.
“As the twig is bent, so the tree many be inclined.” Hence, all honor to the Puritans for their great endeavor to train and bring up their children in a way that when they become old, it will stand b them. Every child when grown to manhood and womanhood will in their age look back to their parents with love and respect, which is the solid ground of the best civilization. Pioneer
Nondenominational and then the North Kingsville United Presbyterian Church
In 1877, people of the north Kingsville town decided to build an independent, purely undenominational church. They opened its doors to any minister of the gospel who wanted to conduct services and be satisfied with the voluntary contributions he received. According the Kingsville Township Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book of 1955, Reverend E.J. Comings preached so effectively in the northern section of Kingsville Township prior to 1875 that “a group of citizens decided to build a meeting house immediately,” immediately being 1877.
The church remained nondenominational for the first thirty years of its existence, but on May 9, 1906, the congregation organized as the Union Presbyterian Church, with 32 charter members. In 1930, the congregation remodeled the original church and installed a large stained-glass window in the front and moved the entrance door to under the bell tower. In the 1950s, mostly volunteer labor building a Christian education building/fellowship hall to accommodate the expanding community. In another 1950s innovation, the church dropped Union from its name and it is now called the North Kingsville United Presbyterian Church. In 1983, the original church building that dated to 1875, was burned to construct a new sanctuary and the congregation worshipped in the Christian Education building until it was finished several years later.
Historian Carl Feather wrote the story of the centennial anniversary of the church, highlighting its history and telling the story of the family of Emma Hawkins Remaley of North Kingsville, whose paternal grandmother, Minnie Hawkins, was a charter member of the church. In 1916, her maternal grandmother, Lora Brydle and mother, Ruby Brydle, joined the church.
Emma Remaley and other members of the congregation struggled to keep the church doors open, rebuild its membership, and place it on a solid financial footing after members split into factions and the Presbytery of the Western Reserve took control of the church and restricted its operations.
Emma also agreed to become a member of the session at the age of nearly 80, as well as serving on the finance committee. 
The Kingsville “Squatters”
Eldred Harrington, originally a native of the Bay State, but used to frontier life, and immigrating to the township from western Pennsylvania, was the first resident. Some local historians termed him and some non-property owners “ squatters,” for not possessing a title to the land where they settled, but appropriating it to their own use. Other sources say that frequently early settlers came without owning property, but settled on likely spots, hoping that they would have enough money to buy their land. Sometimes they sold their improvements to the land to buy their own land and start over. Local historian Darrell Hamilton wrote that many early settlers of modest or poor means used that this method of acquiring land in the Connecticut Western Reserve. 
The first family, Eldred Harrington and his wife, Samantha [or Tacy Phillips], were from Elk Creek, Pa., but originally from Massachusetts.
There had two daughters, Lucretia and Deborah, but the historical record is unclear as to whether they were born in Kingsville or elsewhere. Deborah married William George and lived in Kingsville for many years. She is remembered as a woman of a bright, lively disposition, equal to any feat in walking, and a triumphant heroine in conjugal warfare. She sent two sons to the Union army in the late war, one dying on the field of battle.
A sister of Mr. Harrington lived here at an early day — Mrs. Andrews — a capable, worthy woman.
The Kingsville Tribune printed a rattlesnake story about Eldred Harrington. During the winter of 1812 or 1813, Eldred Harrington, one of the first settlers of Kingsville, and a great hunter, came upon the track of a bear near the Southwest corner of the town. He followed the track in a northerly direction to a ledge in the bank of the Ashtabula Creek, were he found the bones and rattles of a large number of rattlesnakes which had been eaten by the bear.
Near these remains he found a hole in the ledge in which he suspected the snakes had taken refuge for the winter. Soon after, he and several of his neighbors went with tools for blasting and prying to make a thorough search of the suspected den. Their efforts were rewarded by the bringing to light one hundred and twenty-seven rattlesnakes and two blacksnakes.
These snakes were opened and the leaf taken out and given to Mrs. Daniel C. Phelps to render for the oil, of which she secured several quarts. In those days, rattlesnake oil was considered of great value, as an application to the throats of children suffering from croup and colds. Dr. Coleman of Ashtabula, used frequently to call on her for rattlesnake oil to anoint and cure for his suffering patients.
Whether it always cured I am unable to say. But that rattlesnake hunt was generally believed to have nearly exterminated the animal from that region.
One who was then a Kingsville boy
A story by Pioneer in the Kingsville Tribune said that Eldred Harrington settled on a plot of land, built a cabin, and in 1804 brought his family to their new home. He assumed the squatter’s right and the right to claim that he and his family were the first settlers in Kingsville.
A few years later, when he was out hunting, he heard the nearby crack of a rifle and went to investigate. He found a place where an animal had been shot and dragged away and he followed the trail through a light snow. Soon he came to a brush heap piled up against a large tree, and pushing the brush aside, discovered the body of an Indian. He followed the hunter’s trail and soon met Joseph Bennett. Eldred asked Joseph Bennett why he had killed the Indian and Bennett answered by tapping his rifle and saying, “Ask Colonel Brady.”
Eldred Harrington never said anything about the dead Indian, making some people think that he had killed the Indian and earning him the nickname of Leather Stocking, meaning a frontiersman and warrior the likes of Natty Bumppo in James Fennimore Cooper’s Leatherstocking Tales. Then, a few years before he died, Joseph Bennett confessed to murdering the Indian, but the nickname stuck of Eldred Harrington for the remainder of his life.
Pioneer wrote that Eldred Harrington was a tall man of light complexion, and possessed a peaceable, friendly disposition and a religious turn of mind. He believed the woods to be God’s own natural temple, that God spoke through thunder and lightning, and the winds chanted God’s praise.
Eldred Harrington died of lingering consumption in 1826, and he was buried on the right bank of Conneaut Creek, upstream from where he lived.
It may not be generally known that tree climbers were invented by Andrew Stull, who with five others settled on the flats east of the center of Kingsville, as early as 1804. He was an ingenious blacksmith and invented many things in his line which was convenient and useful to early settlers of that day. He supplied the colony with bear traps and plow points, and not least with iron claws for feet and hands to ascend the largest trees equal to a bear. He could follow a coon or wild cat up the tallest trees and if not quite so fast, he would get there just the same, and shake them off to have their brains knocked out by those below.
He was from Pennsylvania with Leonard, Widener, Talbert, Lewis, Harrington, and Blackmore, the last named from Massachusetts, had been a continental soldier and fought through the battles of Brandywine, Germantown and Monmouth. Pioneer
Resident of future Kingsville Township at the time that Richfield Township was founded in 1800.
Resident of Kingsville Township in 1818.
Listed in 1815 males, Kingsville Township.
Elijah Lewis and Lucy Lewis.
Elijah was born on March 8, 1764 in Exeter, Rhode Island. He died on September 18, 1852 at age 88 in Erie County, Pennsylvania. He is buried in Valley Cemetery in Albion, Erie County, Pennsylvania.
D.A.R. records show that Elijah Lewis is a son of Caleb and Sybil Lewis. He married Lucy O’Dell at Hoosick Falls, New York. They moved to Otsego County, Montgomery County, Auburn in Cayuga County, New York, and then to Erie County, Pennsylvania. After they lived in Erie County Pennsylvania for a time, in 1805, they moved to Kingsville Township in Ashtabula County, Ohio. Eventually, Elijah and Lucy had thirteen children.
Elijah owned 400 acres of land between Keepville and Albion, Pennsylvania. According to one source, Elijah was a captain in the War of 1812, but his pension application says that he was a private in the Revolutionary War. The family later returned to Pennsylvania. Lucy died in 1850 at age 81, and Elijah died in 1852 at the age of 88. Both are buried in Albion Cemetery.
Israel Harrington, Jr.
Israel Harrington, the cousin of Eldred Harrington, was one of the family of “squatters” that settled along Conneaut Creek in Kingsville Township and he was elected the first justice of the peace in Kingsville Township in 1811.
Eventually he moved to Conneaut, and then to Sandusky, Ohio, establishing a tavern at what is now Fremont, Ohio shortly after the War of 1812.
He eventually became a judge and land speculator, influencing much of the organization of northern Ohio during the early 1800s.
In 1824,land speculator Harrington traded his tavern for land near Harrington cemetery where an Indian trail crossed the river. The settlement Harrington established there became Elmore.
Pvt. Israel Harrington, Sr., father of Israel Harrington, Jr. was born on March 7, 1740 in Smithfield, Rhode Island. He served during the Revolutionary War in Private Allen’s Vermont Militia. Pvt. Harrington died on September 10, 1825, at age 85. He is buried beside his son in Harrington Cemetery in Elmore, Ottawa County, Ohio.
Elijah Blackman and His Dog.
Elijah Blackman was a native of Massachusetts and served his country well as a Continental soldier during the Revolutionary War for independence. He died poor, not having received any aid from the government by way of a pension. He fought in the battles of Brandywine, Germantown, and Monmouth, and well deserved the recognition of government, but it came too late.
He toiled faithfully and to do this the heavy timber must first be cleared away and for one not used to a life in the woods it became most decidedly an uphill business. After toiling early and late to clear a patch for corn, then when nearly grown, see it almost wholly destroyed by wild animals. He was no hunter and could not protect his crops that way. Therefore, he applied to Andrew Stull to make him a bear trap. He set his trap for the bears, and strange to say he caught a large vicious dog the same night. He tried every way to give the dog his liberty as he very much pitied him, but in the operations, he got bit which riled him considerably. He then applied long poles to the springs which finally loosened the dog.
The dog went, and as a parting salute, the trapper sent his ax after him, which happened to cut off the dog’s tail. He gathered up the appendage and went to Israel Harrington to find out if he knew of anyone owning a dog with such a tail. Israel Harrington said he knew of many such dogs, but he knew of “no particular owners.” It was the tail of a wolf.
Elijah and Hiram Blackman were Continental soldiers from Massachusetts, probably arriving in Kingsville about 1804. Elijah attended the first meeting of Kingsville Township held in the Fobes cabin on the North Ridge. He was elected one of the Highway Supervisors
Stephen Blackamore. Resident of the future Kingsville Township at the time Richfield Township was formed in 1806. He held early Kingsville Township office in 1814.
Some of the Original Members of the Kingsville Presbyterian Church.
July 11, 1844.
Ichabod Curtiss and Selina Curtis. Ichabod Curtiss was a veteran of the War of 1812. He and Selina are buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
Luman Webster. He is buried in Old Kingsville Corners or Kingsville Presbyterian Church Cemetery. Eliza N. Webster. She is buried in Old Kingsville Corners.
Jonathan Gillette. He is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
Jeremiah King. Jeremiah King came to Ohio in 1832, and settled where Kingsville is now located. He was a blacksmith by trade, but before leaving Connecticut, he was extensively engaged in the manufacture of plows which he sold in Norfolk, Virginia. After he arrived in Ohio, he became a farmer and struggled hard to make a living in the early years. When the Lake Shore Railroad came to northeastern Ohio, he sold one half of his land and invested his profits in the Lake Shore Railroad. After that, he made enough money so that he enjoyed excellent financial circumstances for the rest of his life.
He was an honest, conscientious and philanthropic man. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, but his wife, Esther Ward King and her children belong to the Baptist Church and he often accompanied them there. He died June 10, 1884 at age 90 in Kingsville, Ohio and he is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery. (From “The King Family of Suffield, Connecticut,” compiled by Cameron Haight King, 1908.)
Captain Samuel Newton was born in 1794 and died on July 20, 1838. He is buried in Old Kingsville Corners Cemetery.
Samuel Newton. Samuel was born in 1788 and died on July 9, 1845 at age 57. He is buried in the Old Kingsville Cemetery.
Samuel Rice. Samuel Rice. Born 1772. Died October 22, 1853, at age 81. Wife, Corinna Gillett Rice. He is buried in the Old Kingsville Corners or Kingsville Presbyterian Church Cemetery.
Olive Merrill. She is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery. Born February 1, 1781. Died October 21, 1869.
Avis Elizabeth Nettleton. Born in 1816. Avis Elizabeth Nettleton. Buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
Alpha Nettleton. Alpha Nettleton, an early resident of Kingsville, kept the only tavern from 1825-1852. He also owned a farm and raised his own products. He had a niece who married H.E. Hall, and lived in Conneaut many years. While there, they kept the stage house for a time. As the stage stopped to water horses one night, Alpha Nettleton, to show his good will, placed on top of the stage half dozen nice pumpkins to send to his niece. When the stage arrived at West Conneaut or Westville, as it was called, somebody discovered the pumpkins and slyly took them off for his own use while the driver was watering his team. When the stage drove up to the tavern in Conneaut, Hall was informed there was pumpkins on top for his wife, but no pumpkins could be found. They couldn’t have fallen off as they had a good railing to protect them, hence it was concluded they had been stolen off at Westville. The place was afterwards called Pumpkin Hook until it was changed to Amboy by establishment of the post office. Pioneer.
Daniel Noyes. He is buried in Old Kingsville Corners Cemetery
Henry Cheney. Born in Connecticut in 1794, he moved to Kingsville and later Ashtabula. He is buried in Chestnut Grove Cemetery.
Hermon Reed. He is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
Gideon Bushnell-Millwright. Buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
Eunice Bushnell. August 7, 1788 to November 24, 1874. She is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
William Bushnell. Born in 1793. On February 24, 1825, he married Mary Luce in Ashtabula, Ohio.
Eunice Gillett-Buried in Old Kingsville Corners Presbyterian Cemetery
Theresa Bushnell. She is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery. March 1821 to September 19, 1849.
Lois Reed. She is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery
Elizabeth Cook. The 1850 Census shows that Elizabeth Cook, age 76, lived in the household of Alonzo T. Lyon.
Clara Noyes. She buried in Old Kingsville Corners Presbyterian Cemetery.
Mary E. James. The 1850 Census shows that Mary E. James, Black, age 38, lived in the household of George G. Gillett.
Mary Thayer. Mary Molly Packard Thayer. Buried in Farnham Cemetery. 1767-1846. July 14, 1844.
Annis Thayer Mccomber Born October 29, 1803. She is buried in Old Kingsville Corners Presbyterian Cemetery. July 14, 1844.
George Harder. Buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery. August 40, 1844.
Nancy Harder. August 30, 1844
Henry Thurber. August 30, 1844-He was appointed postmaster in Kingsville on November 15, 1850. Buried in City Cemetery in Conneaut.
Harriett Thurber. August 30, 1844- Buried in City Cemetery in Conneaut.
Lelia Ann Reed. September 1, 1844
Corrine N. Webster. September 1, 1844
Presbyterian Elders, 1840s-1850s
Hermon Reed. He is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
Gideon Bushnell. He is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
Henry Caughey. The Caugheys are a Scots-Presbyterian family with a large contingent in Erie, Pennsylvania. Andrew H. Caughey was a pastor at the Kingsville Presbyterian Church in the 1880s.
Luman Webster. He is buried in the Old Kingsville Corners Presbyterian Cemetery.
Samuel C. Johnson. The 1850 Census shows Samuel living with his family in Sheffield, Ohio. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church in Kingsville.
Elnathan Luce-In 1847 he was appointed postmaster of Kingsville. By the 1860s, the Luces had move to Buffalo, New York.
Ichabod Curtis. A veteran of the War of 1812, he is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
Jeremiah King. After blacksmithing and manufacturing and selling plows in Connecticut and Virginia, he came to Ohio in 1832, and became a farmer. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and he is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
Nelson H. Benjamin. He is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery. Undated newspaper clipping. “It is special interest to note that in the fall of 1846, Mrs. McGoun’s father, Nelson H. Benjamin bought the mill to be known as Benjamin’s Red Mill, located just below the Benjamin Homestead from Mrs. Jessie Ekey’s grandfather and operated it as a flour, feed and sawmill. Wooden butter bowls and other like items were made here.
In 1869, Mr. Benjamin and his family, except for his second son, moved to Sharon, Pennsylvania to have charge of a mill there. The second son was left to carry on the Kingsville Mill. After some time the Sharon Mill burned, and Mr. Benjamin returned to his mill in Kingsville.
In the meantime, his daughter Flora had married Clayton McGoun in Sharon and moved to Kingsville in 1878. In 1881, Mr. McGoun took over the mill here. It was called a “Burr Mill.”
After being in possession of the Benjamin family for four years, the mill was sold to Frank W. Crowther, later to B.F. Matson, when it was operated as a saw mill. C.F. Tuttle was the next owner, and used the building in which to manufacture piano benches. Mr. Hadlock next took it over and wrecked the machinery. At present, the building is not in use.”
Ozias Camp. He is buried in the Old Kingsville Corners Presbyterian Cemetery.
- 1803. Eldred Harrington, described as a “squatter from Western Pennsylvania, settled along Conneaut Creek.
- 1805. Several other squatters and their families joined Harrington, carving homes in the wilderness.
- 1805. Captain Walter Fobes migrated from Norwich, Massachusetts and purchased land in Kingsville Township.
- 1810- Reverend Joseph Badger arrived in the Western Reserve as a missionary pastor to organize churches.
- 1805-1822. Reverend Joseph Badger encouraged and enabled six of the original pioneers-Walter Fobes and his wife; Mr. and Mrs. James Montgomery; John P. Reed; and Lois Badger to organize a Congregational Church, the first one established in Kingsville. These original church members held prayer meetings and services in their homes until they build a church in the center of the village. The new Congregational Church even featured a pipe organ!
- July 11, 1844. Reverend Erastus Williams and 23 people received as members organized as a Presbyterian Church.
- 1847. Kingsville Academy, which stood next to the Presbyterian Church, burned, and Academy classes were held in the church. Then the church burned in the same year.
- 1872. Mrs. Caroline Blood acquired a life membership in the American Bible Society by contributing over $30.00, according to the Society’s 56th Annual Report.
 The State of Connecticut authorized the Connecticut Land Company to buy and resell the majority of the Western Reserve, an area of northeast Ohio that Connecticut had reserved for her citizens in 1786 in exchange for other western land claims of the U.S. Government. The Connecticut Land Co. held title to all Reserve land except for the Firelands and a Mahoning Valley salt tract which had been previously sold. A syndicate of 35 purchasing groups representing 58 individuals, the company bought the lands for $1.2 million on September 2,1795. The sale was on credit, with the proceeds earmarked to establish the Connecticut School Fund.
 Moses Cleaveland Papers, West Reserve Historical Society. Red Jacket was buried in South Buffalo before his body was moved to Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo in 1884 at the recommendation of politician William C. Bryant. (Mark Mulville/News file photo)
 Kingsville Township in History of Ashtabula County, Ohio. Moina Large, Topeka: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 . Chapter 25.
 Early History of Cleveland, Ohio, Including Original Papers and Other Matter Relating to the Adjacent Country with Biographical Notices of the Pioneers and Surveyors. Colonel Charles Whittlesey. Cleveland, Ohio: Fairbanks, Benedict & Company, Printers. Herald Office. 1867, p. 438-442. Execution of O’Mic, June 24, 1812, Honorable C. Whittlesey.
 Pioneer” wrote a series of historical sketches for the Kingsville Tribune in the 1880s. Reading between the lines, he probably hailed from North Kingsville, but didn’t identify himself, except to exhibit a wide acquaintance among the early Kingsville pioneers, including Presbyterians.
Most accounts of the History of Ashtabula County, including the histories by the Williams brothers and Moina Large and the census records list his name as Eldad Harrington. It could have been a typographical error or perhaps his nickname. A story in the Kingsville Tribune by “One who was then a Kingsville Boy, later known as Pioneer, has is name as Eldred Harrington.
 Junius Sloan, the artist who painted the photograph of Conneaut Creek was born in Kingsville. He married Sarah Spencer, one of the daughters of Platt Spencer and during his career became a well known artist. Some of his most famous paintings are of rural scenes, such as the one of Conneaut Creek.
 “Memorial to the Pioneer Women of the Western Reserve,” Part III, Mrs. Gertrude Van Rensselaer Wickham, Editor [published under the auspices of the Women’s Department of the Cleveland Centennial Commission, December, 1896]. p. p. 534-541:
 Silas Tinker, Jr., and Thomas Kezartee are buried in Kingsville Presbyterian Cemetery. William Ferguson is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.
 History of the Presbytery of Erie: Embracing in its Ancient Boundaries the Whole of Northwestern Pennsylvania and Northeastern Ohio. S.M. Eaton, Pastor of the Presbyterian Church, Franklin. New York: Hurd and Houghton, 1868, p. 27.
 Pioneer” wrote a series of historical sketches for the Kingsville Tribune in the 1880s. Reading between the lines, he probably hailed from North Kingsville, but didn’t identify himself, except to exhibit a wide acquaintance among the early Kingsville pioneers, including Presbyterians.
Most accounts of the History of Ashtabula County, including the histories by the Williams brothers and Moina Large list his name as Eldad Harrington. A story in the Kingsville Tribune by “One who was then a Kingsville Boy, later known as Pioneer, has is name as Eldred Harrington. Eldad was probably an error in transcription from handwritten to typescript manuscript.
 Brief History of the Kingsville Presbyterian Church, 1950 Altie Phillips, from a manuscript in the Presbyterian file of the Kingsville Public Library.
 History of Methodism within the Bounds of the Erie Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Revered Samuel Gregg, Volume II. Nelson & Phillips, New York. p, 99
 Brief History of the Kingsville Presbyterian Church, 1950 Altie Phillips, from a manuscript in the Presbyterian file of the Kingsville Public Library.
 “Pioneer” wrote a series of historical sketches for the Kingsville Tribune in the 1880s. Reading between the lines, he probably hailed from North Kingsville, but didn’t identify himself, except to exhibit a wide acquaintance among the early Kingsville pioneers, including Presbyterians.
 NK Presbyterian Celebrates Centennial Anniversary. Carl E. Feather. Ashtabula Star Beacon, June 24, 2006.
 Most accounts of the History of Ashtabula County, including the histories by the Williams brothers and Moina Large list his name as Eldad Harrington. A story in the Kingsville Tribune by “One who was then a Kingsville Boy, later known as Pioneer, has is name as Eldred Harrington. His name is spelled Eldad on census records which sometimes contain creative spellings. Eldad could have been an error in transcription from handwritten to typescript manuscript. According to Claude L. in The Connecticut land company and accompanying papers. Cleveland, OH: Western Reserve Historical Society., 1916. pp. 135–136, the Connecticut Land Company was plagued by mismanagement, low sales, and uncertain titles which affected the people who did or did not buy land in the Connecticut Western Reserve.
 Memorial to the Pioneer Women of the Western Reserve,” Part III, Mrs. Gertrude Van Rensselaer Wickham, Editor [published under the auspices of the Women’s Department of the Cleveland Centennial Commission, December, 1896]. p. p. 534-541:
 In the Kingsville Tribune Scrapbook at the Kingsville Public Library, page 101. One who was then a Kingsville Boy, later called Pioneer. A group of reference books by former Kingsville Public Library Director Mary Novak, is a comprehensive record of many of the early residents of Kingsville and an excellent source of information.
In the Kingsville Tribune Scrapbook at the Kingsville Public Library, page 101. One who was then a Kingsville Boy, later called Pioneer.
 Pioneer.North Kingsville, December 3, 1888.
 U.S. Presbyterian Church Records, 1701-1970. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.