Kingsville Pioneer Cemetery- The Old Cemetery
Route 84, adjacent to the Kingsville Presbyterian Church
Friday, August 13, 1886
The Old Cemetery by Professor W. F. Cooper,
Written for the Tribune
After the incorporation of the new cemetery in Kingsville (Lulu Falls?), the heart of the people seemed to leave the old one. It has alternately been cared for and neglected. The burial ground is located on the south side of Main Street and west of the center of the village. According to the custom of our fathers, the site was fixed up almost in the center of the town. It has long been a burial place for the dead and every inch of ground, set apart at first should be forever holy and consecrated to this use. The surface of the ground slightly and pleasant and the earth for the determined purposed most fit. It not wisely, it was most justly set apart and should never be converted to any other use. Here from time to time, the people have buried many of the members of the most prominent families. These have not for the greater part been disturbed. The ashes of some have been moved to the new cemetery, but we believe only a few.
On the site of the cemetery east is first the Presbyterian Church, a fine edifice with pleasant grounds, well dressed up and ornamented with trees of a variety of kinds. Between these grounds and cemetery is a beautiful well-trimmed hedge. On the west side is another hedge, untrimmed and rank in growth. On the west is the cottage and grounds of the Luce estate, a very pleasant place. Indeed, the whole of the balance of this street on the south side is occupied by residences, both tasty and fine. In front of the cemetery is a beautiful and well-trimmed hedge. The grounds at present, shorn of a crop of weeds and grass, and the monumental slabs, large numbers of them being in part thrown out of position or displaced, the general appearance of the whole area is one of both carelessness, inattention, and neglect. We hope that both the authorities and the people will make haste to reinstate these grounds, both on their own account and that of their parish.
Because of the near neighborhood of Ashtabula to this place, and the common origin and family intercourse of the people, we presume that something further on the above subject would be accepted as in place.
In the center front is a gate, and the main avenue crosses from the north to south, dividing the grounds in two parts on the east side and the west side. On the right of the entrance from the street repose the ashes of the Lyons family. Next, some of the Grovers. Then in the northwest corner are the graves of three of the Smiths. In this corner were buried some of the Galbraiths Not far south of the spot rests the ashes of Chancey Atwater; then David Haines; and close by sleeps the wife of Silas Bailey. South, near the center west, are buried some of the Morses.
A little further south, some of the Woods; then we pass the grave of Roswell Cook, then that of Lucy Stanton; still further south on this west side we find the grave of Samuel Newton. Not far away we see the graves of two or three of the Tinkers. Near this spot was buried Daniel Noyes and only a little further southwest sleep Elihu Knapp and wife. We pass here the grave of A. Hubbell and last, we come to a group of graves of the Webster family. Southwest corner here rests the ashes of the old pioneer Michael Webster, whose life numbered 101 years.
The second range of graves on the right of the avenue furnishes the last rest for members of many well-known and prominent families among which are the Rice, Merriman, Curtiss, etc. We should perhaps add Woods, Pecks, Bugbees, Batchelors, Rawsons, Gilletts, Websters, Strattons, Hunts, etc, etc.
On the east side of the Avenue rests Newtons, Mitchells, Websters, Ransoms, Macumbers, Howards, Tafts, Tinkers, Comptons, Southards, Hawkins, Newton, Phelps, Barretts, Rundells, Bugbees, Kezartes, Camps, Clevelands, Cooks, etc.etc.
In the north-east corner, on the high ground cemetery, a beautiful place, are many graves. There is one monument and a large slab overthrown. Here was buried the wife of Mr. Cleveland, Jo’s Hawkins, etc.
There are a few shade trees in these grounds, exceptionally fine indeed.
Let the monuments and slabs be carefully dressed and righted up. Clean the grass and weeds, remove the debris of the front hedge; carefully reinstate the surfaces, and all will be once more in order, and creditable to the place and prove to the living honor, and show a just respect for the worthy dead.
Kingsville Library Album #3- West Main Street Cemetery
Kingsville Presbyterian Church, built in 1844
Kingsville Cemetery, dating from the time of arrival of the first settler was established by a private will, but was not placed under the church or the township. Thus, there is no caretaker except for attention given by private citizens.
Bugby Grange officers and members cleaned, repaired, and reset the stones in the cemetery next to the Presbyterian Church on Main Street in 1948, winning recognition from the state of Ohio for this project. The land for the cemetery had been donated to the church by George Gillette, needed in an unusual manner as private property and as such, it was not owned by the township. (Information from a Gilbert E. Webster letter).
Friday, August 13, 1886