Eugene Linn: A Solitary Soldier’s Grave in a Kingsville Cemetery

by Kathy Warnes

Eugene.S. Linn. 2D Ohio Battery, G.A.R. Civil War Monument. Died April 17, 1867. 2nd Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery. Civil War Veteran. Old Kingsville Corners Cemetery or possibly Lulu Falls Cemetery.

The record of his grave in the Old  Kingsville Corners Cemetery lists his birth and death unknown, and that he is a veteran of the 2nd Independent Battery of the Ohio Light Artillery in the Civil War. Records show that Eugene S. Linn is not unknown and that he has not entirely disappeared from the historical record or recognition of his service in the Civil War.  They also show Eugene’s connections to Kingsville.

It’s necessary to trace some of Eugene’s family tree to understand what happened to him and his family and why he is buried in a lonely grave in the Old Kingsville Corners Cemetery in Kingsville, Ohio or possibly in Lulu Falls Cemetery in Kingsville.

Edmund S. Linn, son of James S. Linn and Theodosia Lemira Pettibone Linn, moved to Ohio around 1841.His father, James Linn, served as a private in the First Texas Foot Riflemen unit in the Mexican War. James married, possibly twice, and settled with his family in Lima, Ohio.

James’ son, Edmund, married Minerva Barney in Franklin County, Ohio, on October 31, 1841, and they settled in Lima in Allen County. By 1848, Edmund had become the Allen County Recorder, charged with the safekeeping of all records, deeds, mortgages, and other documents connected with the title to lands.[1]

As well as being a civil servant and successful merchant, Edmund belonged to Lima Lodge 205 of the Free and Accepted Masons. Records show that Lodge 205 buried Edmund S. Linn, who had been a victim of the 1851 cholera epidemic. The site where his Lodge brothers buried Edmund S. Linn is unknown..[2]

There is also a historical mystery about the whereabouts of the graves of Edmund’s father James, Edmund’s wife Minerva, his daughter Laura. His son Arthur is buried in New York and his son Eugene is buried in Kingsville.

The 1850 Census of Allen Township, Lima, Ohio shows that James S. Linn, age 54, a printer, lived in Lima, Ohio, with his son Edward (Edmund) S. Linn, age 30, born in Connecticut. Edward S. Lynn is listed as a merchant owning $6,300 worth of real estate. Other records list him as a cabinet maker.

Also listed are his wife, Minerva Linn, age 31 who was born in New York; their children Eugene S. Linn, age 8, born in Ohio,  Arthur L. Linn, age 2, born in Ohio, Laura M. Linn, age 10 months, born in Ohio.  James S. Linn, age 54, is listed as born in Pennsylvania. Elizabeth Busheart, age 20, born in Ohio. Two store clerks are listed, David Brinkley, age 21, born in Ohio and Elijah Adams, 22, born in Massachusetts.[3]

It is difficult to trace Edmund, Minerva, Eugene, and Laura, in records after the 1850 Census. Arthur,11, appears in the 1860 Federal Census and is shone living with Ira Maltby, 55, and Emily Maltby, 48 in Ashtabula Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio. Records show that Emily Maltby and Minerva Linn were sisters. Index to New York Death certificates, 1862 to 1948 shows that Minerva W. Linn, the spouse of Edwin S. Linn and their child is Arthur L. Linn.  Her maiden name is listed as Barney.

Ira and Emily Barney Maltby would later play an important role in the lives of Arthur and possibly Eugene Linn. Census records show that Arthur Linn and his brother Eugene didn’t live with the Maltbys in 1850, but Arthur is listed as living with them in 1860.

Cholera Creates Epidemics

Cholera epidemics were one of the unpleasant facts of 19th Century life in the United States. From about 1832 to the early 20th Century, cholera epidemics killed thousands of Americans. Spread by drinking water or food contaminated with human waste, cholera causes severe diarrhea, vomiting, and cramps. People can die from dehydration within a few hours or days after they experience the first symptoms of cholera. Cholera usually followed the pattern of flourishing during spring, summer and, fall. States like Ohio which had cold winters, enjoyed a winter respite from cholera.

The water and cholera equation with people in between equaled disaster for people. In 1832, cholera came to Cleveland and Clevelanders first, when travelers and businessmen carried it across Lake Erie. By the fall of 1832, people traveling along the Ohio River brought cholera to Cincinnati. Lakes like Lake Erie and lesser lakes and rivers like the Ohio and Mississippi enabled cholera to speed across the United States in all directions.

Inland Ohio didn’t escape the clutches of cholera, either. Ohio’s network of canals provided laboratory petri dish calm breeding grounds for cholera and drinking water for canal workers, an often-fatal combination for the workers. Canals, railroads, and steamboats created prosperous transportation and travel networks for Ohioans, but they also brought cholera to the heartland.

The cities proved to be the most fearsome and fatal harvesting grounds for cholera. Between 1832 and 1835, St. Louis lost 500 people to cholera; Cincinnati, 732; and Detroit, 322. The most severe cholera epidemic in Ohio struck in 1849-1851, and 5,969 people died in Cincinnati alone, including the baby son of Harriet Beecher Stowe. The total Ohio death toll for those years is estimated to be about 8,000 people. Officials had to postpone the first Ohio State Fair and the Ohio State Constitutional Convention. In the 1849-1851 outbreak, St. Louis lost 4,557 people; Cincinnati, 5,969; and Detroit, 700. In each outbreak, the deaths totaled five to ten percent of the population.

Despite the number of cholera deaths in the cities, they managed to survive, stumbling for a time, but they rebuilt their economies and worked to discover the source of cholera. After John Snow found that drinking water in London had caused a cholera outbreak, and German microbiologist Robert Koch discovered the cholera bacillus in 1884, scientists and public health officials across the country campaigned for cities to install water purification systems.

Cholera epidemics continued to march across the United States. until the early 1900s. By then, sanitation measures, including sewer systems and clean water facilities, had become commonplace enough to make cholera less commonplace.

Cholera Also Stalked Small Towns in Mid America

When cholera came to Nineteenth Century small towns, it not only threatened the health and lives of its residents, but the social structures of their communities. Some fearful residents noted what they considered the sinful behavior of vulnerable groups like poor black people and Irish immigrants. These fearful people accused them of incurring the wrath of God that He expressed through cholera epidemics on the entire population. Many times, they drove out those they considered to blame for the epidemic.[4]

Often, the governing authorities of these small towns denied the existence, origins, and scope of the cholera. Even historians tend to divide the cholera epidemics into 1832, 1849, 1866, and the late 1870s sections of time, when a closer look at the epidemic boundaries weren’t so neatly divided.

Officials and the general public didn’t understand cholera and its ability to easily sweep through populations. They didn’t make the connection between drinking contaminated water and getting sick. They didn’t see the cause and effect of disposing sewage and other household waste in streams and cesspools close to drinking water supplies and people contracting cholera.  

Especially before the Civil War, the diagnosis and attempted cures for cholera were often as severe as the disease itself.  Doctors prescribed bleeding, purging, and opium. Often, they told people to use lead acetate as a disinfectant and calomel as a medication. Calomel contained mercury and many people died of mercury poisoning or suffered negative side effects from calomel.

A Proper Burial

Cholera pandemics also created a problem for survivors. How could they safely bury the victims of the contagious disease? Edmund Linn was fortunate that his lodge gave him a Masonic Burial. Family and friends of cholera victims frequently had no grave to visit. Most of the time, the bodies of cholera victims were collected, put on wagons, and since there was no time to make coffins for them, they were taken to cemeteries and buried at night in mass graves. Often the bodies were wrapped in cotton or linen and doused in coal tar or pitch. Sometimes the bodies were burnt before they were buried. If coffins were available, they were placed in coffins. Each body was placed in an eight foot deep pit and liberally sprinkled with quicklime.

Many cemeteries and other locations featured what were called cholera pits, burial places used when cholera ran rampant. Such mass graves often went unmarked and they were placed in remote or especially selected locations. Lack so space in graveyards, fears of contagious cholera, and laws restricting the movements of people during cholera epidemics were factors in establishing cholera pits.

Often, there was no time or inclination to record the names of the victims. During particularly severe and widespread pandemics, cemeteries submitted bodies and last names by location instead of victim. Many of the victims were poor and couldn’t afford memorial stones, although memorial markers were sometimes added at a later date.[5]

Cholera Shatters the Linn Family

The 1851 cholera epidemic shattered the Linn family. Rumors swirling around Lima had it that a man named Linn, who kept a store in the old log courthouse went to Cincinnati for goods in 1845 and he brought cholera to Lima. Is it possible that Edmund Linn , 1850 merchant in Lima, had been partners with a brother who died in a cholera epidemic? There is an Andrew Linn listed as a storekeeper in Lima in the History of Allen County.[6]

Although there are conflicting stories about who brought cholera to Lima, Edmund’s will clearly states that Eugene and Arthur Lynn are orphans, which indicates that their mother, father, sister, and grandfather had perished in the 1851 cholera epidemic in Lima.

The Last Will and Testament of Edmund Linn, dated August 25,1851, appoints Henry Grove guardian of Eugene Linn, age 9, and on September 2, 1851, he was named guardian of Arthur L Linn, age 3, orphans of Edmund S. Linn, late of the county of Allen, the state of Ohio.

Lima Lodge 205 of the Free and Accepted Masons buried Edmund Linn with a Masonic funeral, but where they buried him and probably his wife, daughter, and father has not been discovered. Eugene and Arthur Lynn were the only surviving members of their immediate family. They probably stayed with relatives or friends while Edmund’s will was being probated and living arrangements were made for them. The 1860 Federal Census lists Arthur as living with his mother’s sister Emily Barney Maltby and her husband Ira Maltby in Kingsville, Ohio.

The Kingsville Academy catalog of 1860 lists Eugene S Linn as a student and his residence as Kingsville.  Seventeen years old by now, Eugene could have lived at the Academy or with another relative or worked for a nearby farmer.[7]

The Maltby Connection

Genealogy and history are interchangeable in reconstructing the lives and the events in the lives of people. A brief look at the Maltby genealogy sheds some light on the relationships between the Linn and Maltby families, their connection to Kingsville, and the fate of Eugene and Alfred Linn, sole survivors of their immediate family.

William Maltby

William Maltby was born June 3, 1768, in East Hartford, Connecticut. He married Rachel Kerr Maltby in 1790. There children were:

Benjamin Kerr Maltby; Charles Milton Maltby; Daniel Maltby; David Maltby; George Washington Maltby; Hester Ann Maltby Doty; Ira Maltby; Isaac Newton Maltby; John F. Maltby; Joseph Maltby; Lydia Maltby; Mary Maltby; and William Wesley Maltby.[8]

 William died on June 17, 1835 and he is buried in St. John’s Episcopal Cemetery in Worthington, Ohio. His epitaph reads: “Adieu my friends, Dry up your tears, I must lie here, ‘Til Christ appears.”  His wife Rachel Kerr Maltby died July 20, 1839, and she  is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery in Kingsville.

William and Rachel’s son Ira, born in 1805, and his wife Emily Barney Maltby were most closely connected to the Linn family, since Minerva Barney Linn was Emily Barney’s sister. Both members of the Methodist Church, Ira and Emily lived in Kingsville with their children Minerva Adelle and Oliver A. Mary died in infancy and Lydia Augusta died when she was three. The grave of Mary A. Maltby is located in the Old Kingsville Corners cemetery. A Daniel Maltby, age 9, is also buried there. Ira and Emily are buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery.

Eugene and Arthur came to Kingsville to live with their Uncle Ira and Aunt Emily  after their father, mother, sister, and grandfather died in the 1851 cholera epidemic in Lima, Ohio.

Arthur and Eugene Linn most likely attended school and worked for the first few years of the Civil War.

Eugene and Arthur Linn in the Civil War

Eugene and Arthur Linn both appear on the roster of the  2nd Ohio Independent Battery of the Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, but they were mustered in at different times and served in mostly different campaigns.  On December 28, 1863, Arthur joined the 2nd Ohio Independent Battery of the Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery.  According to his service record, Arthur was 21 years old when he entered the service. According to his father Edmund’s will, Arthur was three in 1851. No matter what his age, Arthur mustered into in the 2nd  Ohio Independent Battery of the Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery in 1863.

His brother Eugene, who according to his father Edmund’s will, was nine in 1851, entered the service on September 2, 1864 when he was 22 years old, also serving in the 2nd Ohio Independent Battery of the Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery.

The 2nd Ohio Independent Battery of the Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery had made much history before Arthur and Eugene were mustered into it. Organized at Camp Chase near Columbus, Ohio and mustered into service by Howard Stansberry, Captain of Topographical Engineers, it was scheduled to serve three years.

When its term of service expired, the original members, except veterans, were mustered out, and the organization composed of veterans and recruits stayed in service until August 10, 1865. On August 10, 1865, Captain Walker, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, mustered out the battery.[9]

The battles the Second Battery participated in included:

  • Pea Ridge, Arkansas, March 5-8, 1862.
  • Port Gibson, Mississippi, May 1, 1863
  • Raymond, Mississippi, May 12, 1863
  • Champion Hills, Mississippi, May 16, 1863
  • Red River Expedition, March, April, and Early part of May, 1864
  • Vicksburg, Mississippi, May 18 to July 4, 1863
  • New Orleans and Plaquemine, August 1863, March, 1864
  • Retreat to Morganza May 13-20, 1864
  • Duty at Plaquemine, Louisiana,  February 1865
  • Duty at Ship Island, Mississippi, until July 21, 1865
  • Mustered out July 21, 1865[10]

Ship Island is a barrier island twelve miles off the coast of Mississippi, in the Gulf of Mexico. Two months after the Confederates had evacuated Ship Island, a detachment of Yankee sailors and Union Marines held it. In November 1861, Union General Benjamin Butler arrived. Almost as soon as General Butler set foot on the island, he used it as a place to imprison and detain Confederate prisoners. By June 1862, the General had sent his first civilian detainees from New Orleans to Ship Island, a month after he captured New Orleans. He also sent Union soldiers convicted of serious crimes to Ship Island.

Despite General Butler’s accommodations for them, the first Confederate prisoners didn’t arrive on Ship Island until October 1864, when General E.R.S. Canby ordered more than 1,200 Confederate captives transferred from New Orleans. In April 1865, the Union Army captured Mobile, Alabama, and sent 3,000 prisoners of war were sent to Ship Island, swelling the prison population to its highest number. The prisoners remained there until late April or early May, when they went sent to Vicksburg, Mississippi, to be exchanged for Union soldiers. By June 8, 1865, no prisoners remained on Ship Island, and by October 11. 1865, the Civil War occupation of Ship Island had ended.

Arthur and Eugene Linn were mustered out of the 2nd Ohio Light Artillery in July 1865.  When Arthur filed for his Civil War Pension on February 23, 1893, his brother Eugene had been resting under his GAR marker in the Kingsville Corners Pioneer Cemetery for 26 years. [11]

Civil War Germs Were More Lethal Than Guns

Civil War movies and reenactments as well as Civil War literature frequently portray gallant Union and Confederate soldiers charging each other and fighting to the death for their respective causes. The reality for Civil War soldiers on both sides is less glorious.  The reality is that of the 620,000 military deaths recorded in the Civil War, about two thirds of them were from disease and not combat. Some studies even estimate that the number of deaths came closer to 750,000.

The conditions that brought about the sky-high death toll included crowded camps, poor health practices, no sanitary way of getting rid of garbage and human wastes, inadequate diets, an no treatments to match the specific disease. At the beginning of the war, soldiers built latrines close to streams which contaminated the water for people downstream.  Diarrhea, dysentery-defined as bloody diarrhea, and typhoid fever were the most lethal diseases. Diarrhea and dysentery accounted for 57,000 deaths alone. Other diseases that took their toll included rheumatic diseases, typhus and cholera, and about 30,714 cases of scurvy were recorded.

Both Union and Confederate Civil War doctors had to wage their own wars against lack of knowledge or remedies while striving to meet the challenge of the largest number of diseased people in 19th century America. Millions of soldiers left military service with chronic diseases of the intestines and lungs that killed them even though the Civil War had been over for a decade.[12]

Since Eugene Linn died in 1867, only two years after the Civil War ended, it is possible he was one of the soldiers who mustered out f the military with a chronic disease, especially since he had spent the last months of the war in the unhealthy climate of the Mississippi bayous and swamps.

One of his relatives, a Malty general, also died in 1867, but in Mississippi instead of Ohio.

The Maltby Civil War

Henry Alonzo Maltby

Arthur and Eugene’s Uncle Ira’s brother David and his wife Lucy had a son named Henry Alonzo Maltby who was born in Ashtabula in 1830 and lived until 1906.  Henry moved to Texas in 1851, and became the mayor of corpus Christi. In 1857, he resigned his office, raised a militia company in Corpus Christi, and joined General William Walker’s filibuster forces in Nicaragua.[13]

Like Eugene and Arthur’s father James Linn, Henry Alonzo Maltby was a newspaperman, and in 1859, after he turned to Texas from Nicaragua, he started publishing the Corpus Christi Daily Ranchero. He continued publishing the Daily Ranchero sporadically through the Civil War and finally he moved to Brownsville where if published it from 1866 through 1870. Eventually, the Ranchero merged with the Rio Grande Democrat to form the Brownsville Democrat and Ranchero which lasted until 1880. After he returned from the convention, he started a paper in Brownsville he called the American Flag, a Confederacy newspaper targeted to advance Confederate interests in foreign countries. When Brownsville came under Union control, Henry moved the newspaper headquarters to Matamoros.

In 1861, his fellow citizens elected Henry Alonzo Maltby to represent Nueces County in the Texas Secession Convention. In April 1861, he served on the executive committee of the Nueces County Committee of Safety and in June 1861, he unsuccessfully for the state legislature. He was an officer in the Confederate Army. [14]

On March 21, 1862, Henry Alonzo Maltby married Hannah A. Franks in Nueces County, and they eventually had five children.  Their children were: 

Henry Alonzo Maltby, (Jr.) 1862-1934; Jasper Adelmon Maltby, 1869-1917; Ida Maltby Combe, 1874-1946; Texas Bird Maltby, 1877-1878; and David Maltby,1882-1947.

A dedicated Mason, Henry was the oldest past master of the Rio Grande Lodge, Ancient Order of Free and Accepted Masons. He owned and operated a successful hardware store in Brownsville, Texas.

Henry died on May 18, 1906, and his obituary in the Brownsville Herald paid tribute to him as “quiet and unassuming, a man of staunch principles, loyal to his friends, and true to his conception of right. His death removes from our midst one of the men who have been connected with the border history of Texas for many years, and whose demise is universally regretted.”[15]

He is buried in the Old Brownsville Cemetery.

Jasper Adalmon Maltby

Malvina James Maltby outlived her husband Brigadier General Jasper Aalmon Maltby by 23 years. During the years she spent in Chicago after his death, she clung to the American flag and her memories of her life with him.

Malvina James was born in Missouri in 1835. She married Jasper Adalmon Maltby on March 25, 1852, in Galena, Jo Daviess County, Illinois. The 1860 Federal Census shows that they had a five-year-old son named Henry. In the 1870 Census, Henry was age 15, and in the 1880 census, a 27-year-old printer. The 1889 Chicago City directory listed him as a printer.

Jasper Adalmon Maltby, husband of Malvina James Maltby and a brother of Henry Alonzo Maltby, was born in Kingsville, Ohio on November 3, 1826. He learned the gunsmith trade, and later moved to Illinois. He served as a private in the Mexican War and he was severely wounded at Chapultepec. When he returned to private life, he operated gunsmithing and other mercantile pursuits at Galena, Illinois until the Civil War broke out.
.When the Civil War broke out, he enlisted as a private in the 45th Illinois Infantry.

 Jasper Maltby rose through the ranks and on December 26, 1861, he became lieutenant colonel of his regiment. On March 5 1863 he was promoted to Colonel.  and in August 1863, he assumed command of the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, XVII Corps which fought in northern George and later in Tennessee. He was wounded at Fort Donelson.[16]

General Ulysses S. Grant chose Jasper Maltby and his regiment for a desperate mission at the siege of Vicksburg which began in May of 1862 and lasted until July 4, 1863. Some historians call the mission of the 45th Illinois one of the most desperate missions of the Civil War.[17]

Fort Hill Library of Congress

A week before July 4, 1863, the day General John Clifford Pemberton surrendered Vicksburg to the Union Army, a council of the Union generals met. They decided that the blowing up of Fort Hill, the anchor of the left flank of the rear Confederate defense line, and Union control of the crater after the explosion would be of strategic value to the Union cause. Confederate artillery and  sharpshooters in a hundred rifle pits commanded Fort Hill. 

The Union generals understood that a successful blowing up of the Fort would mean that few of the men who rushed into the debris would survive. Only a single regiment could bring about the necessary explosion and manpower to jump into the yawning crater that the explosion created and hold it against the Confederate hell fire while their comrades constructed protective works.

A multitude of volunteers stepped forward, but the Union generals in General Ulysses S. Grant’s Army chose the 45th Illinois, the Lead Mine Regiment, with Colonel Jasper A. Maltby in charge. The 45th regiment silently waited for the explosion. The signal given, they heard a mighty roar and the earth shook from a heavy explosion. Colonel Maltby, his Lieutenant Colonel Malancthon Smith, and the men of his 45th Regiment hurled themselves into the smoking crater.

Shot through the head and mortally wounded, Lieutenant Colonel Smith died as his feet touched the bottom of the pit. Colonel Maltby was shot twice, but ignored his wounds to continue the fight. A Confederate artillery battery rained sheets of shrapnel into the ranks of the 45th Illinois and Confederate sharpshooters provided continuous volleys of bullets. The Union regiment had to throw up some kind of protection before the Confederates entirely annihilated it. Colonel Maltby designed certain of his men divert the sharp shooter’s fire and provide some resistance to the Confederate artillery. The 45th diversionary soldiers desperately fired to save their comrades who toiled to throw up protective barriers to deflect Confederate firepower. Both Union and Confederate soldiers fell.

The surviving Union soldiers passed beams into the pit and placed them in positions to protect their comrades.. They placed joists lengthwise and piled dirt around them. Colonel Maltby helped his men lodge the beams. He went to one side of the crater that had no elevation where he stood fully exposed, a tantalizing target. Although weak from his wounds, Colonel  Maltby put his shoulder under a heavy piece of timber and pushed it up and forward into place. Bullets chipped the woodwork, erupting the sand all around him. One Confederate artillery gunner trained his piece dead center on Colonel Maltby and a solid shot hit the beam that the Colonel had just set into place. The beam shattered into kindling, driving sharp pieces of wood into the colonel’s side and back.

After the 45th Illinois Regiment had succeeded in securing the crater, they picked up Colonel Maltby who was still alive, and carried him to a surgeon at the field hospital. Afterward, the surgeon said that it would be time-consuming work to count his wounds. Colonel Maltby had only been in the field hospital about an hour when the clicking over the telegraph wires from Washington carried a message announcing the recommendation that Colonel Jasper A. Maltby of the Lead Mine Regiment be appointed a brigadier general of volunteers for conspicuous personal gallantry in the face of the enemy. A week later, General Grant’s victorious forces marched into Vicksburg.

Colonel Jasper A. Maltby, now Brigadier General Jasper A. Maltby, lived through the rest of the Civil War, and was mustered out of the service on January 15, 1866. The military appointed him the commander of the district mayor of Vicksburg, Mississippi, on September 3, 1867, but as time went on, it  became medically impossible for his body to withstand the shock and pain of the gaping wounds he had suffered a the Siege of Vicksburg. He died on December 12, 1867, in Vicksburg, the city that he had helped to conquer.

His widow, Malvina Maltby, received his flag and embraced it for the rest of her life, still treasuring it and his memory when she died in St Luke’s hospital in Chicago on December 28, 1901. She is buried with her husband in Greenwood Cemetery in Galena, Illinois. [18]

William Henderson Maltby

William Henderson Malty took a different military path than his brother General Jasper Maltby and the same Confederate path as his brother Henry Alonzo Malthy.

Born in Worthington, Ohio, on March 14, 1837, William Henderson Maltby worked as a typesetter for the Cleveland Herald in 1859. When his older brother Henry Alonzo Maltby founded the Ranchero in Corpus Christi, Texas in 1859, William moved to Texas to help his brother with his newspaper.

William and Henry lived in a boarding house. William met a young woman named Mary Grace Swift there and they were married on July 15, 1860.

At the beginning of the Civil War, William Malty joined an artillery battery, earning the rank of lieutenant and later becoming its captain. His artillery unit later became Company I of the 8th Texas Infantry Regiment.

When the Civil War began, William Maltby earned the rank of lieutenant in an artillery battery. and later became its captain. This unit later became Company I of the 8th Texas Infantry Regiment. On November 17, 1863, the 8th Texas Infantry Regiment fought the forces of Union Brigadier General Thomas E.G. Ransom to take a Confederate earthen fortification on Mustang Island called Fort Semmes. The Confederate garrison had less than 100 men, made up of detachments from the 3rd Texas State Militia commanded by Major Gorge O. Dunaway and the 8th Texas Infantry under Captain William N. Maltby.

The small Confederate garrison of Fort Semmes wasn’t prepared to fight the Union forces so Major Dunaway decided to unconditionally surrender his entire garrison instead of trying to fight the way back to the mainland.[19]

General Ransoms forces sent their Confederate prisoners to Vicksburg, Mississippi, where Captain Maltby had an influential advocate. His other brother Jasper Maltby, who had just been named a brigadier general. Through Brigadier General Jasper Maltby’ s influence Captain William Maltby was exchanged. He returned to Corpus Christi and reunited with his wife Mary Grace and their son Jasper who was born, while he served in the Army. Their daughter Mary was born three years later.

Soon after, William Maltby became publisher of the Corpus Christi Advertiser. A disastrous yellow fever epidemic swept the community in 1867,  claiming the lives of at least 157 residents, including his wife Mary Grace. Their two children, Jasper and Mary survived. On July 22, 1870, William married Anna Maria Headen, and the couple added three more children to their family.

In 1877, William Maltby and  Eli T. Merriman established the Corpus Christi Free Press, which became the forerunner of the Corpus Christi Caller.

William Maltby continued to work  in the newspaper business until his death on August 20, 1888. He is buried in Old Bayview Cemetery, Corpus Christi, Texas.

The Fate of the Maltby Nephews, Arthur and Eugene Linn

Because of Ira and Emily Malthy’s willingness to provide a home for her sister Minerva’s sons who survived the cholera epidemic, Arthur Linn and Eugene Linn had the opportunity to grow into adulthood.

The 1880 Federal Census revealed that Arthur L. Linn, age 31, was living in Cleveland with his wife Elizabeth C. Linn, age 27. They had a son Arthur L. Linn Jr, age 8; and a daughter, Minerva E. Linn, age 6. Elizabeth’s mother Jerusha R. Boyd, 52, and her brother, David A. Boyd, 24, lived with the Linns as well. Arthur listed his occupation as a traveling salesman.

The New York Index to Death Certificates 1862-1948 showed Arthur, a widower, living on Park Lane South in Kew Gardens, Long Island, New York. He died in the Veteran’s Hospital in Bronx, New York. on August 29, 1935 and he was buried on September 1, 1935 in Rensico Cemetery in New York. [20]

Although the Lima cholera epidemic orphaned Arthur Linn at age three, with the help of his Aunt Emily, his mother’s sister, and her husband Ira Maltby, he persevered and lived a long and productive life. His brother, Eugene, was not so lucky.

Is This Really Eugene Linn’s Grave?

Like his uncle by marriage Brigadier General Jasper Maltby, Eugene Linn could have died young from a wound he received in battle during his Civil War Service. Other possibilities are he could have returned home with disease viruses and bacteria like cholera alive and fatally attacking his immune system, or he could have contracted a disease or died in an accident locally. Whatever the cause of his early death, Eugene Linn died on April 17, 1867, at approximately 25 years of age.

At some point in the final days of his life, Eugene Linn either returned to his Kingsville ties with the Ira Maltby family or his brother Arthur brought him back to Kingsville to be buried. His tombstone can be found in the Old Kingsville Corners Cemetery.

But there is one more mystery and irony connected to the death of Eugene Lynn. His grave marker is in the Old Kingsville Corners Cemetery, but his Army record states that he is buried in Lulu Falls Cemetery. There is no marker for him in Lulu Falls Cemetery. Was he lost in the shuffle of moving bodies from the Old Kingsville Cemetery to Lulu Falls, an event that took place in the late 1800s according to a Kingsville Tribune article? Is Eugene’s grave marker the only part of him that rests in the Old Kingsville Cemetery and his body lies in an unmarked grave in Lulu Falls Cemetery?

The final irony of Eugene’s short life is that is resting place is as obscured as those of his father, mother, grandfather and younger sister.[21]


[1] James S. Linn Enlisted in the First Texas Foot Riflemen at Nacogdoches on June 13, 1846. He served at Point Isabel, Texas.

[2] History of Allen County Ohio and Representative Citizens, Dr. Samuel A. Baxter, Chicago, Illinois:  Richmond & Arnold,1906, p,  297. Most of the graves and grave stones were removed from the Old Lima Cemetery and transferred to Woodlawn Cemetery., The history of the Old Lima Cemetery states that some of the graves remained there and are covered by modern day industries. There are Linns buried in Woodlawn Cemetery.  Is it possible that Edmund is buried in Old Lima Cemetery?

[3] James S. Linn was listed as editor of Western Intellingencer in Delaware, New York.[Columbian Centinel, Mar. 1920, from Index to Marriages in Massachusetts Centinel and Columbian Centinel 1784-1841, at the American Antiquarian Society Library, Springfield, Massachusetts].

[4]  “The Black Cholera Comes to the Central Valley of America in the 19th Century-1832-1849 and Later.” Walter J. Daly, MD. American Clinical and Climatological Association, 2008. 119:143-153.

[5] “The Black Cholera Comes to the Central Valley of America in the 19th Century-1832-1849 and Later.” Walter J. Daly, MD. American Clinical and Climatological Association, 2008. 119:143-153.

[6] A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio, Vol. I, Chicago and New York (1921), pp. 365,

[7] Twenty-sixth annual catalogue of the officers and students of Kingsville Academy, 1859-60: Kingsville, Ashtabula . Kingsville Public Library Archives.

[8]Maltby Genealogy

[9] Louisiana and the Civil War

[10] 2nd Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery

[11] Ship Island

[12] Behind the Lens: A History in Pictures

Diseases in Civil War Camps

[13] William Walker, an adventurer and soldier of fortune from San Francisco, California, aspired to control Latin American countries and annex them to the United States. General Walker and his small army briefly invaded Nicaragua in 1855.  In 156, he gained control of the country, but by 1857, a coalition of Nicaraguan Liberals and Conservatives ousted General Walker and his forces.

[14] Henry Alonzo Maltby

[15] Houston Post, May 19,1906; San Antonio Daily Express, May 19,1906.

[16] The Union Army Volume 8

[17] U..S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles about Jasper Adalmorn Maltby  Name: Jasper Adalmorn Maltby  Residence: Galena, Illinois  Age at enlistment: 35  Enlistment Date: 17 Sep 1861  Rank at enlistment: Lieut Colonel  State Served: Illinois  Survived the War?: Yes
Service Record: Commissioned an officer in Company S, Illinois 45th Infantry Regiment on 26 Dec1861.
Promoted to Full Colonel on 29 Nov 1862. Promoted to Full Brig-General on 04 Aug 1863.
Mustered out on 04 Aug 1863. Commissioned an officer in the U.S. Volunteers General Staff Infantry Regiment on 04 Aug 1863. Mustered out on 15 Jan 1866.
 Birth Date: 3 Nov 1826  Death Date: 12 Dec 1867
Death Place: Vicksburg, MS Sources: Illinois: Roster of Officers and Enlisted Men Dyer: A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Heitman: Register of United States Army 1789-1903Generals in Blue, Lives of the Union Commanders Photo courtesy of Massachusetts Commandery of MOLLUS

[18] Greene County Herald, Leakesville, Mississippi. December 8, 1911.

[19] Howell, Kenneth Wayne, ed. The Seventh Star of the Confederacy: Texas During the Civil War, University of North Texas Press, 2011

[20] New York Index to Death Certificates 1862-1948. Arthur Linn.Gender:  Male. Race: White. Marital Status:  widowed.  Age:  87. Birth Date:  August 3, 1848. Birth Place: Lima, Ohio. Residence Street: 116-40 Park Lane So Kew Gardens, L.I. Residence Place:  New York. Years in United States:  Life. Death Date:  August 29, 1935.  Death Street Address:  130 West Kingsbridge Road. Hospital:  Veterans Administration Facility. Death Place;  New York City, Bronx , New York. USA  Burial Date:  September 1, 1935.  Burial Place:  Rensico Cemetery. (Kensico Cemetery?) Occupation: Bookkeeper. Father’s Birthplace: Pennsylvania. Father: Edwin (Edmund) S. Linn. Mother: Minerva W. Linn.  Informant: Arthur L. Linn. Executor:  Minerva Linn Warren.

[21] After the incorporation of the new cemetery in Kingsville (Lulu Falls?), the heart of the people seemed to leave the old one. It has alternately been cared for and neglected. The burial ground is located on the south side of Main Street and west of the center of the village. According to the custom of our fathers, the site was fixed up almost in the center of the town. It has long been a burial place for the dead and every inch of ground, set apart at first should be forever holy and consecrated to this use. The surface of the ground slightly and pleasant and the earth for the determined purposed most fit. It not really wisely, it was most justly set apart and should never be converted to any other use. Here from time to time, the people have buried many of the members of the most prominent families. These have not for the greater part been disturbed. The ashes of some have been moved to the new cemetery, but we believe only a few. Professor WE, Cooper. Kingsville Tribune, Friday August 13, 1886.